2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

Ride/Race Schedule - to add event - Email: ciclistasdelrio@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Last Chance day2, more detail

A big thanks to Brent for staffing the Oberlin motel, and thanks to RMCC for making this possible! Took forever to get settled for a mere 3 hour of sleep, but I did have to replace a slow flat (goathead!). Slept well for an hour and a half, tossed and turned for the other hour and a half. Groggy and inefficient, finally leaving at 12:30am. After a few miles felt better, and made good time to Norton, watching the lights of farms and towers come and go over the rollers. Somewhere before Phillipsburg, as I was feeling really drowsy, got chased by 3 phantom dogs coming from the right. Never saw them, but heard their barking and running. Got up and sprinted for 30 seconds, one little dog was right with me the whole way on the shoulder yapping. That woke me up! Passed by 3 sets of riders already heading back, think it was Mark, Tom K, and Peter and Russell. Had to stop to put on a jacket and change headlight batteries, but made Phillipsburg as I was getting dreary again. Cup of coffee and dawn gradually woke me up again on the way to the turn-around in Kensington. As I pulled up to the PO, Colin's wife Julie, running support for him, arrived and gave me a Capri juice!

OK - heading back to Colorado! But it's uphill and wind against - ugh! That first leg back to Phillipsburg was a real psychological test, as the real work began. Soon saw many riders still outbound - Colin, Vernon & Paul, John Lee, Val & Robin, and many others. Took some time at the Phillipsburg control to resupply and grab some solid food (nothing like a cheddarwurst fresh from the heat-lamps!), Colin arriving just before I left. Did not make great time to Norton, had trouble focusing and keeping the pedals turning - until Colin caught me, that is. Thought I'd ride his train for a while, but he really put the hammer down and it was all I could do just to stay in his slipstream. Then we'd start up another roller, I'd be at my limit, and he'd sit up and wave me past for my pull! Gahh! We'd crest the top, he'd come by, and I'd have to sprint again to keep his wheel. Finally, on the descent into Norton, my lower back told me that I shouldn't keep this up, no matter the headway we were making. Colin stopped off at McDonalds where Julie was waiting for him, and I pressed on after getting my card signed.

Outside of Norton, I saw Tammie off her bike looking at her rear wheel - she'd split a sidewall, so I gave her my spare tire. "No problem, I said, "I've got a boot patch if it comes to that." Little did I know.

Up till now it had been overcast with even some drizzle, but the sun was finally making an appearance. Still good riding temperatures, but starting to warm up. The small-critter road-kill littering the shoulder in west central Kansas? - frogs! Boy there were a lot of them, just glad I didn't run over any live ones.

In Oberlin, Julie greeted me with another Capri juice and Pringles. Thanks, Julie! It was like I had my own support crew. Slathered on sun screen and headed to Atwood as Colin arrived, looking hot and tired. Seven miles shy of Atwood, after being battered by the turbulance of huge oversized vehicles, my rear tire went flat, and sure enough, I had a split sidewall! I laughed. It seemed to take forever to get the boot in place and the new tube in, I needed 3 hands. I was sure Colin would pass me, but he wasn't to be seen, and I was soon in Atwood, scarfing pizza and soda. Thanks Beth and Brent! Jim was staffing too, but was taking a well deserved nap while I resupplied. Oh - Brent changed my rear tire with a spare I had in my drop bag - thanks a ton, that saved me so much time!

Off to St. Francis with the sun in my eyes. A nice afternoon ride, but I really appreciated when the sun dropped below the horizon. Made the Empire Motel at deep dusk, showered, ice for my knees, and fell asleep as I was posting a blog update!

No comments:

2012 Dolores CX Results

2012 Dolores CX Results
Any questions concerning the results, please email CiclistasdelRio@gmail.com