2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

Ride/Race Schedule - to add event - Email: ciclistasdelrio@gmail.com

Monday, September 8, 2008

DWC Club Championships

I've been riding in the club championships in the 'C' flight this past week. That may be sandbagging a little bit, but I know for sure I am not competitive in the Bs.

Anyway, a good start last Thurs in the 16 mile TT. I took 3rd place with a time of 42:18, just over 23mph average. The criterium on Sunday was mixed for me - I rode a strong race and placed 5th, but strategically it was very poor. The TT winner also won the crit, and may have an insurmountable point lead at this point. Trouble was, all of us knew he was likely to win a bunch sprint, and yet we couldn't get it together to try a break, or at least push the pace to string it out some. I felt strong all race, and for some reason thought I'd see if I could outsprint him, but I should have gone on a flyer in the last lap and a half and hoped to stay ahead. At least then I'd have a good guage on my strength relative to the group, and probably done no worse than 5th anyway.

So, a little frustrating. Only my fifth competitive criterium, and there's lots to learn about tactics! Road race is this Saturday, Trimble to Coal Bank, and I have a good chance of winning that, but I think I'm too far behind to win the overall. We'll see.

2 comments:

swayman said...

Michael,

Good luck in the road race on Saturday! I will not be able to make the road ride Tuesday because of another commitment.

Steve

lwebster said...

So many times tactics come down to just hanging on for dear life and making it to the finish. So when you find yourself in a race where you have an oppotunity to win, often times it comes down to your gut -- at that instant you have an acute sense of what is possible and you go with it. I've taken that last lap flyer before and gotten 5th and I've sat in for the sprint and gotten 10th. And vice-versa. But in the end it's just a whole bunch of fun.

2012 Dolores CX Results

2012 Dolores CX Results
Any questions concerning the results, please email CiclistasdelRio@gmail.com