2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

Ride/Race Schedule - to add event - Email: ciclistasdelrio@gmail.com

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gila Criterium

So, morning criterium racing around downtown Silver City. A fun, fast course. And I am feeling good. Amazing what nine hours of sleep (and a selective memory) will do, recovery-wise.

We averaged 25 mph for the first 11 (of 15) laps before all hell broke loose. Coming into the last corner (#4) on Lap 11, I got to the outside just where I wanted to be, so as to take the corner as fast as possible and get to the front shortly thereafter. A guy a couple of riders in front of me hit the tire barrier and launched, his bike missing my head by about a foot. It may be super space-agey light material, but I am pretty glad I didn't get a face full of ultralight carbon fiber wheel. The guys behind me were not so lucky: I heard that five or six got taken out.

After avoiding the crash I must have inadvertently stopped pedaling (self-preservation, I guess) as I had to gun it for half a lap to catch back up to the leaders. On Lap 12, coming back down the hill into Turn 4 again. Trying to get to the front. Just after the corner, everything comes to a screeching halt. Somehow a motorcycle and a mountain bike with fender racks, etc. are spread across the road like they just fell out of space right at Turn 4. I still have no idea if any of the riders crashed into them or how they got there or what. Just vaguely remembered chaos at this point.

The peloton decided to neutralize for lap 13 for everyone to get there shit back together and for the debris to be cleared away by the time we got back to Turn 4. Then it was go time again, though I am sure everyone was wondering what to expect at Turn 4 this time around. I suggested that eveyone look out for Wiley Coyote on a Steam Roller but only one guy heard me. Ah well, I am destined to perform my comedy routines to the least receptive audiences at the most inopportune moments. So it goes. . . .

Anyhow, racing: I assumed we were doing 15 + 1 laps, as is the normal deal for Crit racing, or at least I think it is (second actual crit race here folks). Anyway when I rolled across the line with the group at the end of 15 laps I was expecting another lap and planned to give it hell. But it was over. Just, over. Weird. Unlike yesterday, I felt like I still had a bit left in the tank which is kind of a bummer, but bodes well for the big Gila Monster stage tomorrow. Or what I like to refer to as The "Thankgawd I am Not Good Enough at this Bike Racing Thing to Have to Race the ACTUAL Gila Monster Stage Like the Pros Do" Stage. AKA, Gila Monsterino.

Adios,
Vince

1 comment:

Michael H said...

That turn 4 always scares me, but I'm a chicken when it comes to high-speed corners. Nice job to finish with the pack - unless you're a bona fide Crit racer looking for the win, that's all you need to do! Glad you avoided all the crashes. Good luck on the Gila Monsterino!

2012 Dolores CX Results

2012 Dolores CX Results
Any questions concerning the results, please email CiclistasdelRio@gmail.com