2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

Ride/Race Schedule - to add event - Email: ciclistasdelrio@gmail.com

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last Chance Day 1, more detail

As expected, this first leg was fast, with a strong group of riders, mostly downhill, and a light tailwind. Arrived in Byers with about 10-12 of us, at dawn. All departed at different times, so we were now spread out. Andrea and I were last to leave, even though we were only there about 7 mins. Realilzed that we wanted to stay with Colin and Tim, so worked together to catch up with them. That was hard work. Passed Victor, Tom K, Russell & Peter, Tom L and I think Sara. Mark Lowe, as usual, was gone up the road. This was all in a drenching fog - needed wipers on the glasses, had to keep using my glove to clear them. Everything was soaked. And it made for interesting riding - who was that fuzzy red light up ahead? In a few miles we made contact with Colin and Tim, and the 4 of us worked well together through the fog, over the rollers to Anton. Glad I couldin't see what was in store for the return trip! And it was cool - a blessing. Stopped for a quick pee break in Anton, where Tom & Tom passed us. Decided we wanted to catch them before the control in Cope, so rode a team time trial, with Colin and Tim putting the hurt on Andrea and I - we could only take short pulls, but at least gave them some rest. Reached both my max HR and max speed for the ride in the stretch - 198bpm and 41mph. We missed the catch by about 300 yards as we rounded the corner into Cope.

Quick control, then back on the road, Andrea and I were 2nd out, after Tom K. I decided that I was working too hard, so when Tim and Tom L rode past, I resisted staying with them. Still cool, but the fog was burning off, and the N wind was picking up. It was during this section that poor Victor missed a turn and rode 30 miles off course (60 miles round trip!!!!). No wonder he was last in to Atwood. He still completed in 83hrs - but that was for 810 miles, not 750! Colin, Tom L and Tim passed us and led us into St Francis. Andrea had another quick control, I wanted to double check that my supply box reached the motel for my Thursday night stay. So rode to Atwood solo, temps finally on the rise. Lots of grasshoppers on the verge, many jumping into the spokes as I rode by, a mobile guillotine.

Everyone was at Atwood when I arrived - except Andrea, who was now leader on the road, and Tim. Tom(s) and Mark were taking extended breaks before riding through the night. Had some pizza, watermelon, Coke, then headed out as Russell & Peter arrived. Was soon passed by Tom(s) and Mark. Arrived in Oberlin for my first sleep stop. Colin was already there, and Russell & Mark, Vernon & Paul, Val & Robin, and John Lee arrived later.

No comments:

2012 Dolores CX Results

2012 Dolores CX Results
Any questions concerning the results, please email CiclistasdelRio@gmail.com