2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

2013 Amy Dombroski Memorial Dolores Cross

Ride/Race Schedule - to add event - Email: ciclistasdelrio@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Last Chance day 3, more detail

Slept well for about 4 hours, thankfully. Up at 1am, off by 1:40 (too slow!), and really started slow to warm up the knees and stretch the achilles. Little did I know, I was being watched as I left the Empire motel - and a few miles later Henk and Gary rode up on me, and we chatted logistics. I wanted a picture of the state line, so rode on ahead, then caught back up to them after they passed. We're not in Kansas anymore! Chatted some more, then I pulled ahead as I felt good after my easy warm-up. After Idalia, however, I really started to drowse, and felt a little queasy. I think I may have slept a little on the bike around 4am. My body decided it was done with liquid food for the rest of the ride, so I started checking the cue sheet for the next store to get some solid food. Much to my surprise, as I pedalled through Joes, Charlie was on the side of road with his idling truck. He shouted encouragement as I passed, but I was puzzled - that could only mean that Andrea was behind me at this point, and that was not a good sign for her.

Well, on to Cope, where I hoped the store would be open. I was 45 mins early, but Charlie was there to save the day with an extra peanut butter bagel of Andrea's. She came powering through as I was eating, and Charlie explained that Thursday had been a bad day. She had slept in Idalia, and I passed her before she started out. Now it all made sense. So, on to Anton, and a few miles later I catch Andrea with a flat. I helped her change it and we rode together to Anton. After riding much of the first day with her, and not expecting to see her again, this was a pleasant surprise. She had another quick control, while I took my time and bought burritos.

Heading to Byers, I felt great. In fact, since Norton yesterday, except for the hour or so around 4am this morning, I had been feeling strong on the bike. Not super fast, but fast enough and strong out of the saddle over the rollers. (My problem was I was sore and tired off the bike at the controls, which made it slow going to get back on). Unfortunately, somewhere between Linden and Last Chance, my left knee failed me. It was too sore to get out of the saddle, either to power over the rollers or stretch. So I slowed way down - had to spin up the rollers, and coast downhill to stretch, very frustrating. Rolled in to Byers and decided a short break might do the knee some good. Showered and took advantage of Susan's awesome grilled cheese sandwiches and stocked coolers, thanks Susan! Julie was also there, saying Colin was plugging along having left Atwood about midnight. Lots of people arrived while I was there - Henk & Gary, Vernon & Paul, Colin, and John Lee.

Finally, I pulled myself away, and yes! the knee was feeling better. And the winds were tail and cross-tail! A nice helping hand for the last 100 miles. But it was hot, maybe 95. On the way to Keenesburg, there was an irrigation fountain by the side of the road. I saw it about 200 yards away, and there was no hesitation when I arrived: dropped the bike, waded through the ditch and stood under the COLD water for 10 seconds, so refreshing! I love biking in Colorado, where your clothes dry in mere minutes. Back on the bike, with the winds cooling me further, I enjoyed more grilled cheese, and felt nearly as fresh as day 1. Fast roads to Platteville for the final control, arriving at 7pm.

Well, I had 3 hours to get to Louisville if I wanted to break 67 hours. But I needed food, and yet again I had a slow control - somehow I ended up having to average 17mph to finish by 10pm. That was a tall order given my failing knee. But, hey, I'd been doing this for more than 64 hours already, might as well give it everything I had left. And so I did, 'till about 10 miles to go (only 10 miles!!), when my mind knew I couldn't make 10pm, and my body completely gave up. Cursing myself for all the wasted time at controls, I limped in at about 9mph, finishing at 10:13. Almost fell asleep in the shower, but once in bed, and removed from the immediate disappointment of missing the goal, I had to admit I was pretty psyched with my first 1200k - and lots of lessons learned!

No comments:

2012 Dolores CX Results

2012 Dolores CX Results
Any questions concerning the results, please email CiclistasdelRio@gmail.com